Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Quote

"You write in order to change the world, knowing perfectly well that you probably can't, but also knowing that literature is indispensable to the world... The world changes according to the way people see it, and if you alter, even by a millimeter, the way people look at reality, then you can change it." - James Baldwin

50 years ago our society have extremely different thoughts and ideas then what we have today. Back in the 50's it was customary for the women to stay home and cook and clean and take care of the children, and for the men to go out and work and make all the money. It took the thoughts and ideas of a few courageous women to change the way people view the capability of a woman. This quote really hits home. All it takes is a little putting a little bit of doubt in someones mind to possibly change the way they think and act completely.

I'm a smoker. I have been since I was 17 and never really thought about quitting. Sure i knew that eventually it would probably kill me but I never really cared. I was living for the now and not for the future. I quit while I was pregnant for the sake of my childs health and still refuse to be anywhere near her when i smoke, but until recently that wasn't going to stop me from doing it. Two weeks ago my aunt found out she had lung cancer and that it had spread to her liver. She smoked at least a pack a day. She died last week. It took her dying for me to realize what exactly I'm doing to myself and what I'm doing to my daughter. If I continue to smoke chances are at some point it'll kill me. It can happen at any age which could potentially mean I would be leaving my daughter to deal with events in her life without the love and support of her mother. The smallest or biggest events or ideas can completely change the way you view the world. Maybe you can't exactly change the whole world, but at least you can change the way the world is to you and even your family.

I've now decided to quit smoking. I know it'll be hard but I've decided it's best for me and my family. I wanna be around as long as possible to watch my daughter grow up and get married and have children of her own some day.

3 comments:

  1. i'm so sorry about your aunt! and good luck with trying to conquer this addiction - i know it will be difficult but will be so much better for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, "but at least you can change the way the world is to you and even your family."
    That was a powerful blog. Change one person at a time, starting with yourself. Your daughter will look up to you as will others that want to change their lifestyle. It is hard but just keep saying that quote you wrote in your mind and trudge through it day-by-day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your aunt's passing has a lasting effect on you and your family. If you can change (by quitting smoking), your life and your family's life will be richer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete